- 500 ml (2 cups) whole milk
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz) butter
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 250 g (8 oz) sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) flour
- 20 ml (4 tsp) dark rum
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter and vanilla over medium heat.
- As soon as it starts to boil, turn off the heat and leave as is.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk.
- Add the sugar and salt while whisking, without making it too foamy.
- With a rubber spatula, gradually add the flour, stirring gently.
- Slowly stir in the hot milk.
- Finish with the rum.
- The mixture should be smooth with the consistency of crepe batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Place a baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven.
- Preheat to 230°C (450°F).
- Pour the dough into cannelé silicone moulds (found in specialty stores) until 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes at 230°C (450°F).
- Turn the temperature down to 180°C (350°F) and bake for 1 hour, without ever opening the oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Unmould delicately.