- 1 medium eggplant, coarsely diced
- Coarse salt
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium red onions, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 can of 796 ml (27 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) basil leaves, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) large kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) capers
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) wine vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of dried chili pepper
- Sprinkle the diced eggplant with coarse salt.
- Allow to drain for 45 minutes, and up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the other vegetables.
- Rinse the diced eggplant in cold water.
- Pat dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large cooking pot. Brown all the vegetables and the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, olives, capers, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chili pepper. Stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve warm or cold with an antipasto.
You may broil the caponata in the oven or serve with sunny-side-up or poached eggs.