Shrimp curry with coconut milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Thai red curry paste
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cups) coconut milk
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) nuoc-mâm (fish sauce)
- 20 ml (4 tsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 400 g (13 oz) large raw shrimp (16/20), peeled
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Thai basil or fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat sesame and vegetable oils in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red curry paste and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Add the nuoc-mâm, sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the curry is completely dissolved.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the shrimp are cooked.
- Serve the curry on basmati rice and garnish with the Thai basil.