Lemon and limoncello squares
- 250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) icing sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Limoncello
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) extra–virgin olive oil
- Position rack in centre of oven.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F).
- Butter a 20-cm (8-inch) square baking pan and line with parchment paper, letting parchment paper overhang on each side.
- In a bowl, mix flour and sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix in butter using your fingers, until the dough is a shortbread-like consistency.
- Add egg to the mixture.
- Lightly press the dough into the buttered, lined baking pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- In a pot, mix all the ingredients, with the exception of the olive oil. Bring to a boil, while whisking.
- Remove the pot from the element, and mix in olive oil while whisking.
- For a smoother filling texture, strain the mixture through a sieve, then pour into crust.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes at 170°C (325°F) or until the filling has set.
- Let cool and refrigerate for roughly 2 hours. Remove from baking pan and cut into squares.
- Dust with icing sugar and fleur de sel, to taste.