Lebanese shawarma with beef
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 450 g (1 lb) flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ml (2 tsp) paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cardamom
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cloves
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) tahini
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) water
- Sea salt
- 4 pita breads
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch of fresh mint
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and vinegar.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and spices. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the meat is tender.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Mix and set aside.
- Spread the pita breads out on your countertop.
- Distribute the meat in the center of the buns
- Add the onion and tomato.
- Drizzle with the sauce.
- Garnish with a few leaves of parsley and mint.
- Roll the buns to form a cone.
- Serve immediately, accompanied by a tabbouleh.