In this policy, "we" means the Société des alcools du Québec, "SAQ", its mandataries and authorized representatives.
By deciding to use or visit our websites, mobile applications, digital terminals or any other services that involve the exchange of personal information, you accept our practices respecting the processing and protection of your personal information, as defined hereunder. You agree, among other things, that we may collect and use your personal information in accordance with the provisions herein, subject to our complying with the legislation in effect regarding personal information.
We understand the significance you place on protecting your privacy and we undertake to preserve the confidentiality of the personal information we gather when:
- you visit or register with our websites;
- you enroll with our SAQ Inspire program;
- you participate in our contests, promotions or events;
- you participate in one of our surveys or any other customer study;
- you agree to receive our newsletters, promotional emails, flyers, text messages, and other mailings regarding our products, services, promotions or events that are likely to be of interest to you;
- you use our mobile applications or our digital terminals in SAQ stores;
- you buy products from or return products to one of our stores;
- you submit a job application;
- you contact our Customer Relation Centre or contact us by any other means to formulate comments, questions, or complaints;
- you appear on our surveillance cameras while visiting one of our stores.
What personal information do we gather?
"Personal information" is information concerning a natural person.
We limit the gathering of personal information to that information which we need to offer the products and services you want. Such information can be gathered when you use our websites, mobile applications or digital terminals, or by participating in the SAQ Inspire program, visiting our stores or transacting with us. The information includes your full name, mailing address, telephone number(s), email address, status as a SAQ Inspire program member, information drawn from registering to our websites or SAQ Inspire, from participating in our surveys, activities or events, information regarding the products or services purchased or suggested, the promotional offers, rebates and benefits you received, or information about your preferences or spending habits.
Should we wish to use your personal information for any reason other than those that were initially disclosed to you, we will obtain your consent prior to doing so.
Why do we gather your information?
We undertake to gather only the personal information required for the purpose for which it was gathered, to successfully run our business by, for example:
- offering the products and services you want;
- managing the files and accounts created for you for our various services and websites;
- enrolling in with the SAQ Inspire program and ensuring the good management of your account and the program overall;
- adequately processing your product and service orders;
- organizing promotional events or activities to which we can invite you;
- sending out mailings regarding our products and services or providing you with information that could be of interest to you;
- conceiving, improving, or commercializing products and services;
- studying, analyzing and preparing marketing activities;
- holding contests or surveys;
- recognizing you on our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals and knowing your preferences;
- improving the content of our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals;
- answering your questions and comments;
- identifying attempted fraud and errors, and preventing and protecting ourselves from them;
- ensuring the security and protection of the people and assets in stores and other buildings under our control;
- verifying whether age requirements for purchasing are being complied with; or
- for any other reason required by law or to successfully conduct our business.
Who has access to your personal information?
In addition to the situations provided for or required by law, access to personal information is limited to SAQ employees, mandataries, and authorized providers who need it to perform their work or mandate, to accomplish the objective for which your personal information is gathered. They are required to comply not only with the law but also with the SAQ's requirements regarding the protection of personal information. They must process this information only for the purposes mentioned above.
Cookies are information saved by an HTTP server on the hard drives of your computers and other electronic devices to identify them (rather than the user). They facilitate navigation, in particular by memorizing your choice of navigation language and the products you have selected during your previoius visits, and allow us to process your orders. In addition, cookies allow us to adapt our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals so that they better suit your interests and preferences.
Although our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals use various types of cookies, the information recorded doen't contain personal information. Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You may, however, deactivate them by modifying the confidentiality settings of your browser.
In addition, we use the services of Google Analytics to analyze our websites, our mobile applications and our digital terminals. The information collected through these services is de-identified so that it does not identify users. This information is used primarily to evaluate your use of our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals, including the number of visits, the pages viewed and the time spent on these pages, the source, and other statistics useful for continuous improvement of our websites, mobile applications and digital terminals.
How is your personal information protected?
We employ relevant security measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, reproduction, use, unauthorized modification, and also when transferring your information to a third party for processing or for any other purpose.
Moreover, when you make an online purchase from one of our websites or mobile applications, your credit card information is transmitted securely over the Internet while processing takes place thanks to encryption mechanisms (Secure Sockets Layer protocol) used by your browser and our websites and mobile applications. Your credit card information is not kept or saved on our websites and mobile applications.
Although we take steps to prevent any unauthorized access to your personal information, you will understand that we cannot guarantee the absolute protection and security of your information on the Internet. You therefore acknowledge and agree that we will not be held liable for any damages resulting from the transmission of confidential or personal information over the Internet and that such disclosure is at your own risk.
You are responsible for your accounts
Furthermore, you must do your part to ensure the security of your personal information. We invite you to act responsibly by:
- creating a unique and complex password that includes letters (including upper case letters), numbers or symbols (e.g. ^, ¨,$,#, /), by inserting them in a simple password (in a way that makes sense) to make it complex;
- refraining from writing the password on a physical medium (e.g.: on your SAQ Inspire program membership card);
- frequently changing your password(s);
- refraining from disclosing your passwords, user or access codes to third parties;
- immediately informing us of any threat to or loss of confidentiality regarding the passwords, user or access codes associated with your accounts.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We keep your personal information only for the time required to fulfil the purpose for which it was gathered, the whole in compliance with our rules under our records retention schedule. The personal information will then be destroyed securely and confidentially.
How can you access, modify and/or delete your personal information?
You can access, modify, update, or delete any of the personal information you enter in your accounts. You can also withdraw from our mailing lists or opt out of our electronic communications (see our undertaking to this end below).
If you are having any issues making these changes, you can reach our Customer Relation Centre, by the following methods:
- By email: email@example.com
- By using the Contact Us form on the SAQ.COM website
- By telephone at 1-866-873-2020
- By mail:
Société des alcools du Québec
7500, rue Tellier
Montreal (Quebec) H1N 3W5
The opening hours of our Customer Relation Center are:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Our undertaking on sending electronic mailings
We undertake to manage email addresses responsibly and use them in accordance with the law and your consent.
When you enroll in our SAQ Inspire program or our websites and mobile applications, subject to your consent, we may, from time to time, send you promotional offers, rebates, or other advantages respecting products, services, contests and events by email, mail, text message or otherwise. These promotional offers may sometimes be personalized according to your interests, your purchases, the services you use, or any other information we have about you. This allows us to send you the promotional offers most likely to be of interest to you. In each mailing sent to you, you will have the possibility of removing your name and email address from our mailing list.
Furthermore, depending on circumstances, and within the exceptions authorized by law, we remain authorized to send you emails and other electronic communications even if you have removed your name from our commercial mailings.
Our person responsible for access to information and the protection of personal information
Do not hesitate to contact our person responsible for access to information and the protection of personal information in the following cases:
- you wish to have access to, consult or correct your personal information file.
In this case, you must send your written request to our person responsible for access to and protection of personal information:
Ms. Martine Comtois
Vice-President Corporate Affairs and Secretary General
7500, Tellier Street
Montreal (Quebec) H1N 3W5
By telephone: 514-254-6000 ext. 6645
By fax: 514 864-3642
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a public body subject to the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information. You may find more details on this subject in the Access to information section of our SAQ.COM website.
Some Northern villages have enacted regulations providing that their residents must obtain the prior authorization of their local authorities in order to purchase alcoholic beverages.
That is why any customer from these particular northern villages must authorize us, as the case may be, to send a copy of their order (which contains their personal information) to local authorities, thereby enabling us to receive confirmation that the local authority in question has authorized the order.
The French version of this policy is the official version and it will take precedence over the translated English version.
We reserve the right to modify this policy at any time without prior notice. You may verify whether it has been updated by referring to the "Last updated" date indicated below.
Last updated on October 22, 2019