Vietnamese beef back ribs with asian salad
- 1 kg (2 lb) beef back ribs
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) oyster sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) hoisin sauce
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) nuoc-mâm (fish sauce)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 3 green onions, finely chopped (green part only)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sambal oelek (or Tabasco sauce)
- 750 ml (3 cups) bean sprouts
- 500 ml (2 cups) baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 500 ml (2 cups) napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 or 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sesame oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 30 ml [2 tbsp])
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) nuoc-mâm (fish sauce)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) crushed chili pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir.
- Place the ribs in a large dish and add the marinade. Gently stir to thoroughly coat the ribs.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours, turning several times.
- Preheat the barbecue to 150°C (300°F).
- Grill the ribs uncovered, for 15 minutes on each side.
- Continue cooking, covered, for about 1 hour 45 minutes, turning several times.
- Finish cooking uncovered for about 15 minutes, brushing the ribs regularly with the marinade and turning them frequently.
- Meanwhile, place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix vigorously. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, place all the salad ingredients.
- Top with the dressing and toss well.
- Serve the ribs with the salad.