Spareribs, homemade barbecue sauce and californian salad
- 2 kg (4 lb) pork spareribs
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lime or lemon juice
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) HP sauce
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) ketchup
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried mustard
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 orange, separated into segments
- 1 grapefruit, separated into segments
- 1 L (4 cups) lettuce of your choice, washed and torn into small pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine the spareribs, onion, garlic and bay leaf. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Mix the barbecue sauce ingredients in a large, deep dish. Set aside.
- When the ribs are cooked, drain and place immediately in the sauce.
- Mix well to coat and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- You can also cook the ribs in advance and marinate in the sauce for a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the spareribs in an oven-safe dish.
- Brush with the sauce and cook in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the oil and lime juice in a salad bowl. Season.
- Add the avocado, orange, grapefruit and lettuce.
- Toss gently and serve with the spareribs.