Barbecued pork ribs
- 1.4 kg (3 lb) pork back ribs
- 2 onions, cut into cubes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) black peppercorns
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 L (8 cups) vegetable broth (or water)
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) tomato ketchup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) molasses
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) store-bought barbecue sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic powder
- Tabasco-style hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Place the meat, onions and seasonings in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the broth. (If the broth doesn't cover the ribs, add water.)
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove the ribs from the broth and drain well. Save the broth for another use.
- When the ribs have cooled and drained, brush them with half the sauce.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Place the ribs on the hot grate. Reduce the heat to medium and grill for 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and pulls easily from the bone.