Veal ribs with mushrooms and warm zucchini salad
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
- 4 veal ribs (with bones if possible), about 2.5 cm (1 in.) thick, 350 to 400 g (12 to 14 oz) each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 zucchini (2 yellow, 2 green), sliced lengthwise
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pine nuts, dry toasted
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Parmesan shavings
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large skillet, heat half the oil and half the butter until brown.
- Sear and brown the veal ribs on both sides.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the fat from the skillet. Heat the rest of the butter.
- Brown the mushrooms, green onions and half the garlic.
- Cook over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile oil the slices of zucchini. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another skillet, brown the zucchini quickly on both sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the stir-fried zucchini with pine nuts and the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the rest of the garlic and oil. Stir gently.
- Place one veal rib on each plate.
- Garnish with stir-fried mushrooms and zucchini salad.
- Top with Parmesan shavings and serve.