Snow crab with vanilla beurre blanc and toasted hazelnuts
- 4 snow-crab sections, slit open lengthwise
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) white wine
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter, cold
- 1/2 vanilla bean,* slit open lengthwise (or 2.5 ml [1/2 tsp] vanilla extract)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) toasted crushed hazelnuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
* Available in supermarkets.
- In a saucepan, heat the wine with the shallot. Reduce until almost dry.
- On low, stirring constantly to form an emulsion, add the butter and the vanilla seeds. (Use the tip of a paring knife to scrape the seeds from the bean.) Season with salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the crab sections by steaming them or putting them in boiling salted water. Drain.
- Just before serving, drizzle the crab with the vanilla beurre blanc and garnish with the green onions and hazelnuts.