Thai basil shrimp
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oyster sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fish sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sesame oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai chiles, seeded and chopped (or to taste)
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) 16/20 shrimp, raw, peeled, deveined
- 1 bunch of Thai basil, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- In a wok or a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and chiles.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp turn pink.
- Top with the sauce and turn down the heat.
- Simmer gently for 1 to 2 minutes.
- The sauce shouldn't reduce, otherwise it would be too salty.
- Serve on a bed of basmati rice and garnish with basil.