Sweet and sour shrimp
- 250 ml (1 cup) canned pineapple, slices cut into 8 (keep 180 ml [3/4 cup] of juice)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) ketchup
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) cherry sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) sambal oelek
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) mixed sesame oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 cm (1/3 in.) dice
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) 16/20 shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sesame seeds, toasted
- In a saucepan, mix together the pineapple juice, ketchup, cherry sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sambal oelek.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring from time to time.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of lukewarm water and add to the sauce, stirring.
- Add the pieces of pineapple and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the diced red pepper for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Set aside. Cook the shrimp in two batches, for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the diced red pepper and the first set of sautéed shrimp.
- Top with the sauce and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve on a nest of rice noodles or with jasmine rice.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.