- 60 g (2 oz) softened butter
- 8 slices of country-style bread
- 320 g (11 oz) Gruyère or Emmenthal cheese, sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g (8 oz) Black Forest ham
- 4 eggs
- Butter slices of bread on one side.
- In a hot pan, set one slice of bread, buttered side down.
- Top with one slice of cheese and sprinkle with nutmeg and pepper.
- Add 60 g (2 oz.) of ham, followed by another slice of cheese. Top with second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Flip sandwich over and press down using a spatula. Continue to cook another 2 minutes.
- Top with a fried egg.
- Serve immediately.