Dulce de leche
- 1 can, 300 ml (10 oz), sweetened condensed milk
- Line the bottom of a saucepan with 4 layers of aluminum foil.
- Place the can of condensed milk (without opening it) on the foil.
- Fill the saucepan with cold water until the can is covered with about 2.5 cm (1 in.) of water.
- Heat over high heat. When the water begins to boil, adjust the heat so the water is barely simmering.
- Cook for about 2 hours and 30 minutes, taking care to add water to compensate for evaporation (the can must be covered with water at all times).
- Let the can cool completely before opening.
- With a spoon, stir the mixture until smooth.
Cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes for a more liquid and less condensed version that you can use as a topping (with ice cream for example). Or cook up to 3 hours for a consistency that you can spread on toast. (This recipe offers a medium consistency).
In a large saucepan, you can cook several cans at the same time, as they will keep well in the pantry until the expiration date indicated on the can.