Pork or chicken dumplings
- 250 g (1/2 lb) ground pork or chicken
- 125 g (1/4 lb) small Northern shrimp, blanched
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) bean sprouts
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) soy or tamari sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) toasted sesame oil
- Ground black pepper
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Chicken broth or frying oil
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients, except the wonton wrappers and chicken broth or frying oil, until well combined.
- Place the wrappers on a baking sheet covered with parchment or waxed paper.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a bit of the mixture and place at the centre of each wrapper.
- Moisten the edges of the wrapper and fold over the filling to make a triangle. Press to seal edges. Leave to dry.
- Before serving, poach the dumplings in chicken broth for 5 to 7 minutes, or fry over high heat until they are golden brown.
- Serve as a snack or appetizer over jasmine rice with a peanut sauce.
The dumplings may be prepared in advance and frozen. They will be ready to cook. Perfect when having unexpected guests over!