Escargots à la provençale
- 250 g (1/2 lb) butter, softened
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Ground black pepper
- 5 to 8 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 24 large snails
- 24 snail shells or 4 escargot dishes
Preparation of the provençal butter:
- In a bowl (or in a food processor), combine the butter, lemon juice and pepper. Mix together well.
- Add the garlic cloves and shallot. Mix well.
- Add the chopped parsley and mix again.
- Preserve: In rolls or in a sealed container.
Preparation of the snails:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Rinse and drain the snails.
- Place a bit of the butter in the bottom of each shell or in each section of the escargot dish. Add snails and cover with more butter.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the butter turns golden brown.
If using shells, make sure they are very clean.
The snails may be prepared in advance and placed in the refrigerator or freezer. Add a special touch and flavour the provençal butter with a drop of Pernod or Ricard.