- 450 g (1 lb) fettuccine
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 150 g (5 oz) mild or spicy pancetta, rind-free, diced
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Romano cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Cook the fettuccine until al dente or 1 minute less than the cooking time on the package.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the pancetta.
- Cook until the pancetta is browned. Reduce the heat slightly.
- Combine the egg yolks and the two cheeses in a bowl.
- Mix well and season with pepper. Set aside.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it well in a colander, reserving 1 or 2 ladles of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the skillet with the pancetta and the rendered fat. Mix well.
- Add the cheese and egg mixture to the pasta.
- Mix quickly before the heat of the pasta cooks the egg yolks.
- If necessary, thin with reserved pasta water.
- Verify the seasoning and add pepper if desired.