Grilled halloumi cheese on mixed salad
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic cloves, peeled, degermed and minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) Espelette pepper
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 romaine lettuce, washed and torn into medium-large pieces
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, torn into medium-large pieces
- 1/2 English cucumber, washed, seeded, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 2 ripe tomatoes, each cut into 8 pieces (4 quarters cut in 2)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) black olives, pitted
- 500 g (1 lb) halloumi cheese
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- In a bowl, mix together the vinaigrette ingredients. Stir well. Set aside.
- Scrub the barbecue grill clean.
- Preheat the barbecue to 260°C (500°F) or maximum heat. Oil the grill lightly.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the salad ingredients.
- Toss, cover and refrigerate.
- Drain and pat the cheese dry.
- Cut it into 2 cm (3/4 in.) slices. Brush lightly with olive oil.
- On the barbecue grill, cook the slices of halloumi cheese, uncovered, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile top the salad with the vinaigrette. Toss well.
- Place the salad on the plates.
- Top with slices of cheese.
- Sprinkle with a dash of olive oil.
- Garnish with mint and a bit of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.