- 500 g (1 lb) crabmeat
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) roasted red peppers, finely diced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) breadcrumbs
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mayonnaise or sour cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) parsley, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 potato, baked, peeled and mashed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cooking oil
- Lemon wedges
- Sprigs of parsley
- Tartar sauce, aioli, mayonnaise or any kind of condiment you like
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- In a large bowl, break apart the crabmeat. Add the green onions, garlic, red peppers, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise (or sour cream), parsley and dried herbs. Mix together.
- Add the beaten egg and mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Shape into 8 small patties.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties on both sides until they get nicely browned.
- Place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the centres of the patties are hot.
- Serve with a lemon wedge, sprig of parsley and condiments of your choice.
To check if the patties are hot enough, pierce with a fork, leave it in for about 5 seconds, and take it out. If the fork is hot, the crab cakes are ready!