Apple hazelnut cake
- 3 large apples, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) rum (optional, but highly recommended)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 large egg + 2 egg yolks
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 9" (23cm) round springform pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the cubed apples with the rum and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat for a few minutes until the apples are tender.*
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chopped hazelnuts.
- In a second bowl, mix the eggs, milk and oil.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add the apples with a spatula.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let it cool for 1 hour.
* Be careful not to overcook the mixture—you don’t want to turn it into applesauce!