Cranberry upside-down cake
- 375 ml (11/2 cups) pastry flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cardamom
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 625 ml (21/2 cups) fresh or thawed cranberries
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange marmalade
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Topping: In a 25-cm (10-in) round ovenproof dish, mix the melted butter with the marmalade and brown sugar. Add the cranberries and set aside.
- Cake: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- In another bowl, use an electric hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each.
- With a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Do not over-mix. Pour the mixture over the cranberries and flatten lightly with a spatula.
- Bake on the centre rack for 50 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before turning over onto a rimmed serving platter.