- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 90 g (6 tbsp) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 4 to 5 eggs
- 250 ml (1 full cup) Gruyère or Emmenthal cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch of nutmeg, grated
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a bit of milk
- Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F).
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, salt and butter to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour. Stir well to dry out the dough.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well between each addition.
- Add the cheese, nutmeg and Cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Using a tablespoon, place little balls of dough on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Gently brush the balls of dough with the egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
Unlike parchment paper, a silicon mat is reusable, resistant and sustainable. If you often bake, this is an option to be considered. It's both an eco-friendly and money-saving solution!