Strawberry granita cocktail
- 335 ml (1 1/3 cups) water
- 170 ml (2/3 cup) white sugar
- 750 ml (3 cups) cored strawberries
- 10 ml (2 tsp) liquid vanilla
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 60 ml (2 oz) dry gin
- 250 ml (1 cup) thinly sliced strawberries marinated in 30 ml (1 oz) apple brandy
- Thyme sprigs
- Lemon zest
- Bring water and white sugar to a boil in order to make syrup.
- Place strawberries in a large bowl, pour syrup overtop, and leave to cool.
- Add vanilla, pepper, lemon juice and dry gin, and blend in a food processor until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a 23 m x 23 cm (9 in x 9 in) mould and place in freezer for 2 hours.
- Using a fork, scratch surface of mix every 30 minutes, until well crystalized (roughly 4 to 5 hours).
- Serve in small, chilled bowls and garnish with brandy-marinated strawberries.
Once frozen, granita keeps for roughly one month in a sealed container.