Cauliflower and bacon gratin
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) cold milk
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium cauliflower, in florets
- 150 g (5 oz) smoked bacon, diced
- 150 g (5 oz) grated cheese (4-cheese mix or your favourite cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir with a spoon.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, constantly stirring until the roux whitens.
- Add the milk and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add the nutmeg.
- Cook until the béchamel sauce boils and thickens. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Blanch the cauliflower florets in boiling salted water. Do not overcook. Drain.
- Place in a 20 cm x 20 cm (8 in. x 8 in.) oven-safe dish.
- In a skillet, fry the diced bacon over medium heat until nicely browned.
- Remove from the skillet and pat dry on paper towels.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the cauliflower. Add the diced bacon.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the gratin is nicely browned.
- Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.