Gyros with chicken grilled on the barbecue, tzatziki and cucumber salad
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) steak spices
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) crushed chile
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and cut into half-moons
- Sea salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Greek yogurt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) 10% cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pita breads
- 250 ml (1 cup) tzatziki
- 250 ml (1 cup) Boston lettuce, thinly sliced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red onion, thinly sliced
- The flesh of 2 tomatoes, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- In a large oven-safe dish, place the chicken breasts in one layer only.
- In a bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients.
- Top the chicken with the marinade and coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 24 hours.
- In a salad bowl, season the slices of cucumber with salt and stir.
- Soak for about 15 minutes, stirring twice more.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients. Stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the barbecue to 290°C (550°F) or maximum heat.
- Remove the breasts from the marinade and pat them dry slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, covered, for 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat.
- Set the breasts aside on a cutting board, covered with aluminum foil.
- Place the pita breads on the countertop. Spread with a generous amount of tzatziki.
- Place the Boston lettuce in the centre.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips and place on the breads.
- Add the onion and the tomato.
- Roll into souvlakis and wrap the bottom in aluminum foil.
- Serve with the cucumber salad.