Lamb kebabs with yogurt sauce
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Espelette pepper
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ras-el-hanout (also called Moroccan spice)
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) sweet paprika
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) leg of lamb, cut into 3 cm (1 1/4 in.) cubes
- 4 bamboo skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes prior to use
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, chopped
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the lamb cubes in a baking dish and add the marinade.
- Mix to coat the meat well, then refrigerate.
- Mix 3 or 4 times while marinating for 12 hours.
- Approximately 2 hours before serving, combine all yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Reserve in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the barbecue on medium-high heat, about 230°C (450°F).
- Remove the lamb cubes from the marinade and make sure to remove all the garlic and onion slices.
- Thread the meat cubes onto the skewers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the kebabs about 4 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
- Serve them immediately with the yogurt sauce and your choice of salad.