- 450 g (1 lb) lasagne pasta, fresh or dried
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) celery, diced
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 zucchini, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) mushrooms, minced
- 1 L (4 cups) tomato sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) dried basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) ricotta
- 500 ml (2 cups) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water. Drain and let dry.
- Add oil to a saucepan, and over medium heat cook the vegetables just until translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and basil, and simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a lightly oiled rectangular lasagne dish, add the first layer of pasta.
- Top with sauce, sprinkle with some Parmesan. Add ricotta and Mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used.
- Finish with a layer of Mozzarella.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Near the end of the cooking time, pierce the lasagne in different spots so the juice from the sauce can evaporate.
- Remove from the oven. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Using fresh pasta instead of dried will shorten the cooking time... and the lasagne will be even tastier!