Vegetarian lasagna with zucchini
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 package (227 g) of portobello mushrooms, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- 1 can of 796 ml (27 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 zucchini, at least 4 cm (1 1/2 in.) thick, cut into 6 slices lengthwise
- 250 ml (1 cup) cottage cheese
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grated Parmesan
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) breadcrumbs
- 500 ml (2 cups) shredded cheese mix (Italian mix)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and onions, and sweat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Stir well.
- Simmer slowly, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- On a large baking sheet, place the slices of zucchini flat in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix together the cottage cheese and Parmesan.
- In a 20 cm (8 in.) square gratin dish, spread the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 15 ml (1 tbsp) of breadcrumbs.
- Top with zucchini slices.
- Repeat the procedure for the second layer.
- Add two other layers (sauce, breadcrumbs, zucchini).
- Top with grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.