Duck breast with red wine sauce
- 625 g (1 1/4 lb) duck breasts or magrets
- 1 French shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) beef broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) cherry tomatoes or 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Remove excess fat from the duck and score the remaining fat with the tip of a knife without slicing the meat - this will allow even cooking.
- In an oven-safe skillet, sear the duck breasts over medium-high heat, starting with the fat side.
- Brown the fat and then brown the meat on the other side.
- Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, brown the French shallot and the garlic.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce by half.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place the duck back in the skillet, fat side up.
- Add the tomatoes and rosemary, and season to taste.
- Cook in the oven for about 12 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.