Boiled corn on the cob with orange-curry oil
- 8 ears of corn, shucked and cut into 5-cm to 8-cm (2-in to 3-in) sections
- 2 medium oranges
- 8 thick slices ginger
- 4 bay leaves
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) curry powder
- Supreme the oranges. Reserve the peel and chop up the flesh.
- In a large pot, bring two litres (eight cups) of water to a boil, add the ginger, orange peel, bay leaves and salt, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, heat the canola oil on low and add the chopped oranges and curry powder. Heat gently for 15 minutes.
- Let cool and then purée in a blender. Set aside.
- Add the corn pieces to the simmering water. Bring to a boil again and let simmer for 20 minutes. If necessary, add a little more water (there should be just enough to cover the corn).
- Drain and serve with the orange-curry oil.