Bison medallions with mixed berries
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) demi-glace or 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) veal stock reduced by half
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) port
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) blueberries
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) raspberries
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 8 medallions of bison tenderloin, about 100 g (3 1/2 oz)
- In a saucepan, heat the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the demi-glace and the port.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Add the blueberries and raspberries.
- Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter foams copiously, cook the meat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for rare, or a bit more according to your preference.
- Remove the meat and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the medallions on plates.
- Top with the sauce.
- Serve with roasted potatoes with herbs and one steamed vegetable.