Chicken stew with olives and white wine
- 4 chicken thighs, halved (1.2 kg [2 1/2 lb])
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) freshly ground pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely sliced
- 4 sticks celery, cut in 5 cm (2 in) lengths
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 250 ml (1 cup) mixed olives, pitted
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the pieces of chicken and coat well.
- In a large and heavy saucepan, heat the oil and brown the chicken, four pieces at a time, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, brown the onion and celery, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and let evaporate, 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, olives, garlic and chicken.
- Cover and cook one hour over very low heat, stirring from time to time.
- Serve with a green salad and roasted potatoes, rice or pasta.