Mini rum babas
6 to 8
- 100 ml (2/5 cup) milk
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 packet of instant dried yeast
- 2 eggs
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) vanilla extract
- 10 ml (2 tsp) butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 25 ml (1 tbsp + 2 tsp) rum
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) 35% cream
- 6 to 8 maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Heat the milk and 10 ml (2 tsp) of sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a thermometer, heat until the temperature reaches 38°C (100°F).
- Remove from heat. Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks into two different bowls.
- Add 35 ml (7 tsp) of sugar to the yolks.
- Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture whitens and doubles in volume.
- Then, add the flour alternating with the cooled milk.
- Add a pinch of salt to the whites.
- With a mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into the yolks and stir gently, making sure to not destroy air bubbles.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Butter the inside of the baba moulds.
- Pour the mixture into the moulds until half full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and 60 ml (1/4 cup) of sugar to a boil over medium-high heat, without stirring.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the rum. Set aside.
- When the babas are removed from the oven, take them out of the moulds.
- Pour half the syrup into the moulds.
- Place the babas back in the moulds and brush with the remaining syrup.
- Let cool, then refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Pour the cream into a bowl.
- Using a whisk, beat until whipped cream is obtained.
- Add 10 ml (2 tsp) of sugar and stir.
- Garnish each baba with whipped cream and a cherry.