Mini bison burgers, homemade ketchup
- 5 red greenhouse tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Cayenne pepper
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) white vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cloves
- 5 ml (1 tsp) celery seeds
- 850 g (1 3/4 lb) extra-lean ground bison
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 12 mini burger buns
- A few baby arugula leaves
- Remove the stalks from the tomatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Remove the seeds and pulp through a fine sieve placed above a bowl.
- Keep the juice.
- In a saucepan, mix together the tomatoes, juice, onion and Cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Cover and simmer slowly for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and simmer for about 90 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender and process.
- Return it to the saucepan and cook over low heat.
- Add the vinegar, clove, cinnamon stick and celery seeds placed in a tea ball.
- Cook uncovered for 1 hour.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and the celery seeds. Let cool and refrigerate.
- Preheat the barbecue to maximum heat, 290°C (550°F).
- Make 12 patties with the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill covered for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, toast the buns lightly and set aside.
- At the end of the cooking, top each patty with a slice of cheese.
- Turn off the heat and cook covered for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Spread some ketchup on the bottom half of the buns.
- Garnish with baby arugula and top with the patties.
- Add more ketchup and close the burgers with the other half of the buns.
- Serve immediately with french fries or a salad.