The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, peeled and cut into 1 cm (1/2 in.) slices
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil, plus about 250 ml (1 cup) to fry the eggplant
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 500 g (1 lb) ground lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 1 can, 796 ml (28 oz), diced tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cups) milk
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) Emmenthal cheese, grated
- Place the slices of eggplant on a large baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt.
- Set aside for 1 hour.
- In a skillet, heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sweat the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes making sure to break the meat apart into small pieces.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by two-thirds.
- Add the tomatoes and oregano and stir well.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, rinse the eggplant slices in cold water. Pat them dry on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, add the remaining olive oil and heat over high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the eggplant slices on both sides.
- Once the eggplant slices are fried, set aside on a large baking sheet coveredwith paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Drain the meat preparation in a strainer.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry, pressing to extract as much oil as possible.
- Place half the eggplant slices at the bottom of a Pyrex dish, 20 cm x 20 cm (8 in. x 8 in.).
- Add the meat preparation and press lightly.
- Top with the remaining eggplant slices. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Add the egg yolks.
- Add 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the grated Emmenthal and stir well.
- Top the eggplant and meat preparation with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Serve immediately.