Orecchiette with sausage and rapini
- 1 package of 450 g (1 lb) of orecchiette
- 1 bunch of rapini
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 or 4 Italian sausages (mild or spicy)
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 250 ml (1 cup) Parmesan, grated
- In a large pot with salted boiling water, cook the pasta following the directions on the package.
- Drain the pasta and reserve the cooking water. Set aside.
- Cook the rapini in the same pot of boiling water used for the pasta. Drain.
- Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil and sweat the garlic and onion.
- Remove the casing from the sausages.
- Coarsely chop the sausage meat.
- In the same skillet, brown the sausage.
- Add the basil and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and season. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Top the orecchiette and rapini with the sauce.
- Add the Parmesan and stir.