Moroccan lamb osso buco
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1.2 kg (2 1/2 lbs.) lamb shank, cut into 3 cm (1 1/4 in.) thick slices (ask your butcher)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) prunes
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sliced almonds, toasted
- In a skillet, heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of oil and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides.
- Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the rest of the oil and butter over medium-high heat and brown the onions.
- Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the water and stir.
- Place the lamb in the Dutch oven.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the prunes and continue cooking for about 45 minutes until the meat easily pulls away from the bone.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place on serving plates.
- Garnish with almonds.
- Serve with vegetable couscous.