Elk Osso Bucco
- 4 pieces elk shank
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Italian tomatoes, diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 2 pinches dune pepper (or a few peppercorns)
- 2 pinches mugwort (or oregano)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 1 L (4 cups) game stock Fleur de sel, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Coat elk shank with flour.
- In a large ovenproof casserole, heat oil on a burner and brown the meat on both sides.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce by half.
- Add stock, cover and transfer to oven.
- Roast until meat becomes very tender, about 3 hours.