Meat loaf en croûte
- 680 g (1 1/2 lbs) ground pork
- 6Cortland apples, peeled, cored and cut in four
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground sage
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 454 g (1 lb) puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg mixed with 5 ml (1 tsp) water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a bowl, coat the apple pieces with maple syrup. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the pork, spices, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and egg. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry into two rectangles: one about 25 cm X 13 cm ( 10 in X 5 in ) and one wider ( 25 cm X 30 cm [ 10 in X 12 in ] ).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the smaller rectangle of dough on it.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and position it on the dough, leaving a 1.25 cm (1/2 in) border around the edges. Brush this border with some of the egg wash.
- Cover the meat with the larger rectangle of dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush the entire surface of the dough with egg wash, and make small slits in the dough with a knife.
- Put the apple pieces in a roasting pan. Bake both the meat loaf and the apples in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes. Serve together.