The perfect roast turkey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) salt
- 2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 turkey, 6 to 7 kg (13 to 15 lbs.)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) melted butter
- 1 L (4 cups) poultry stock or water
- 4 shallots, sliced in half vertically
- 1 whole garlic head, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) honey or maple syrup
- Pan drippings, fat removed
- Shallots from the roast turkey
- Garlic from the roast turkey
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Rub the dry brine mixture under the skin and inside the cavity.
- Let rest in the fridge for 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Place the turkey on a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Add the shallot, garlic, and poultry stock (or water).
- Roast in the oven approximately 3 hours (or until internal temperature taken at the thighs reads 82 °C (180 °F)).
- During the last 30 minutes, baste the turkey with honey or maple syrup.
- Remove the turkey from the roasting pan and keep warm.
- Set the pan drippings aside.
- Remove the fat from the pan drippings.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the garlic, shallots, and pan drippings.