- 454 g (1 lb.) semi-lean ground beef (or 300 g [2/3 lb.] ground beef + 150 g [5 oz.] ground pork)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) steak spices
- A knob of butter or some oil
- 1 can (398 ml) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (398 ml) cream-style corn
- 8 yellow Yukon potatoes, peeled and cubed (4 cups)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) herbes salées du Bas-du-Fleuve
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp.) fresh nutmeg, grated
- Place the potatoes in a pot.
- Cover with cold water.
- Salt moderately.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Let simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes feel tender when pierced with a knife.
- Place back in the pot.
- Using a potato masher, combine the potatoes with 60 ml (1/4 cup) of butter.
- Using an electric mixer, puree the mixture with the milk until smooth.
- Add the herbes salées, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- Place your oven rack in the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large pan, sweat out the onion in a knob of butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and cook until golden.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the steak spices.
- Remove from the heat.
- Drain the meat of any excess juices.
- Lightly press the meat onto the bottom of an oven-safe dish.
- Spread the corn over top, then add a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Finish on broil.
- Let cool 10 minutes prior to serving.