Chicken liver pâté
- 600 g (1 lb and 5 oz) fresh chicken livers
- 250 ml (1 cup) 15% cooking cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) butter, room temperature
- 3 French shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) brandy or sherry
- 20 ml (4 tsp) chives, chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) water-packed green peppercorns, drained and coarsely ground
- In a bowl, combine the chicken livers and the cream. Season.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drain the livers.
- In a skillet, melt 75 ml (1/3 cup) of butter.
- Sweat the shallots and garlic for a few minutes until translucent. Set aside.
- Heat another skillet over high heat.
- Cover the bottom with a bit of oil. Add a knob of butter and brown half of the chicken livers (the inside must remain pink). Set aside.
- Repeat the operation with the rest of the livers.
- Place the livers in the container of a food processor. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme.
- Season. Process till smooth.
- Add the rest of the butter and flavour with brandy or sherry.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, scraping out the contents of the food processor well with a spatula.
- Add chives and green peppercorns and stir with the spatula.
- Fill small ramekins with the mixture and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve with toasted croutons and some onion jam or jelly.