Pistachio and port chicken liver pâté
- 225 g (1/2 lb) chicken livers
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 50 ml (1/5 cup) salted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Port
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) 35% cream
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pistachios, chopped
- Rinse and dry chicken livers.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and simmer chicken livers for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan set over medium heat, melt butter and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add chicken livers and cook approximately 4 minutes. Let cool for 5 or 6 minutes.
- In a food processor, purée the chicken liver and onion mixture; incorporate Port and cream.
- Add pistachios and process at medium speed until mixture is smooth (make sure to not grind the pistachios entirely).
- Pour into a mould, cover and refrigerate.
- Serve on canapés during happy hour or as an appetizer.
It keeps easily for three or four days, and the port can be replaced by brandy or sherry if you prefer. This pâté is delicious served with onion compote.