The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled.
Turkey or chicken pot pie
25 to 30 minutes
4 to 5
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) butter
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 medium onion, diced, or 3 bunches of green onions, sliced into 1 cm (1/2 in.) pieces
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen peas
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) boiling chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) milk
- 625 to 750 ml (2 1/2 to 3 cups) cooked chicken or turkey, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) 15% or 35% cooking cream
- 1 pastry shell or pastry dough, to cover a 23 cm (9 in.) pan
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F)
- In a skillet, melt 30 ml (2 tbsp) of butter over low heat.
- Add and sweat the vegetables (except the peas).
- Add the peas and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the rest of the butter over low heat, and add the flour.
- Cook over low heat without colouring. Stir the roux from time to time.
- Pour in the chicken broth while stirring to prevent lumps in the velouté.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the egg and milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the cooked chicken and vegetables to the velouté. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a 23 to 25 cm (9 to 10 in.) ovenproof pan.
- Place the pastry shell or dough over the mixture (dough must be 1 cm (1/2 in.) larger than the pan).
- Make a slit in the centre of the dough. Brush the top with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden brown.