Salmon and potato pot pie
- 6 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) milk
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dry dill
- 1 can, 210 g (7 oz), salmon, flaked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pastry shells, 23 cm (9 in.) wide
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cook the potatoes and diced carrot in salted boiling water.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots, then mash the potatoes with butter and 250 ml (1 cup) milk.
- Add the green onions, dill, salmon and carrot to the mashed potatoes.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Place the pastry shell on a pie plate.
- Spread the salmon and potato mixture evenly in the pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining milk and beaten egg.
- Brush the edge of the pastry shell with egg wash.
- Cover with the second pastry shell. Press and seal both together.
- Brush the top with remaining egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad or hard-boiled eggs in white sauce.