- 1 can of 796 ml (28 oz) of whole tomatoes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can of 48 g (1 3/4 oz) of anchovy fillets in oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) black or green olives, pitted and chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) hot chili flakes (Cayenne or bird's eye )
- 450 g (1 lb) penne
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh parsley, chopped
- 10 to 12 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- In a large bowl, crush the tomatoes with your hands. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Brown the garlic with all of the anchovy fillets and their oil.
- Stir the anchovies until they melt into the oil.
- Make sure the garlic doesn't burn, which would give the sauce a sour taste. Season with pepper.
- Add the olives and capers to the skillet. Stir well.
- Add the chili flakes. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Carefully lower the tomatoes into the skillet to prevent the hot oil from splashing.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the sauce for 20 to 25 minutes, the time it takes to thoroughly blend all the flavours.
- Add the parsley.
- Meanwhile, in a large cooking pot of salted boiling water, cook the penne following the directions on the package. Drain well.
- Turn off the heat under the skillet containing tomato sauce and add the basil leaves.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place the penne in the skillet of tomato sauce and stir well.