Sausage calzone pizza
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cup) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 20 ml (4 tsp) tomato paste
- 4 to 5 mild or spicy Italian sausages
- 4 balls of pizza dough, about 800 g (a little less than 2 lb)
- 500 ml (2 cups) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Heat the tomato sauce and add the basil, oregano and tomato paste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a skillet over low heat, brown the sausages. Cut into slices.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 23 cm (9 in.) diameter.
- Top each pizza with tomato sauce, leaving 2 cm (1 in.) around the edges without sauce.
- Place the sausage slices and cheese on half of each pizza.
- Brush the edges with egg wash (egg + milk).
- Fold over to shape half-circles. Press and seal the calzones firmly.
- Place the calzones on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The pizzas must be well browned.