Italian stuffed chicken breasts
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless
- 8 leaves of fresh basil
- 4 thin slices of prosciutto or capicollo
- 8 thin slices of salami
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices of provolone or fontina cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) sage leaves, finely chopped
- Butterfly the chicken breasts.
- Flatten slightly between two sheets of parchment or waxed paper.
- Stuff each breast with 2 basil leaves, 1 slice of prosciutto, 2 slices of salami, 30 ml (2 tbsp) roasted peppers and 1 slice of cheese.
- Seal well with toothpicks to keep the stuffing inside.
- In a dish, mix together the oil, lemon juice and half of the sage.
- Place the chicken breasts on the mixture and top with the remaining sage, pressing in place.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Lightly oil the grill.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry.
- Grill for 6 to 7 minutes on each side.
- Turn the heat down to low, close the lid and finish cooking for 8 to 10 minutes, checking the progress regularly.
- Remove the toothpicks. If desired, slice the chicken breast diagonally to reveal the stuffing.