Gingerbread pudding with apples and nuts
- 10 ml (2 tsp) butter
- 750 ml (3 cups) stale country-style bread, cut into 1.5 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 750 ml (3 cups) gingerbread, cut into 1.5 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) imitation rum extract
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 Royal Gala apples, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 cm (1/3 in.) dice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Butter an oven-proof dish of 20 cm x 20 cm (8 in. x 8 in.).
- Place the bread cubes in the dish.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk.
- Stir in the condensed milk, the milk and imitation rum extract.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and let them soak for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the nuts and apples.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180°C (350°F).
- Cook for another 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 30 minutes.
- Serve the pudding with maple syrup.